The College of Cape Town for TVET is the oldest Technical and Vocational Education and Training Institution in South Africa with a proud history dating back to the beginning of the 20th century.
Four former technical colleges, Athlone College, Cape College, Sivuyile College and Western Province Technical College were officially merged in February 2002 to become the College of Cape Town. This arose from a rationalization in TVET Colleges in which some 150 colleges around the country were reduced to about 50.
The College of Cape Town for TVET is a public TVET College which falls under the auspices of the Department of Higher Education and Training. The College mandate is to provide inclusive quality Vocational Education and Training responsive to the labour market. The College has eight delivery sites or campuses that service students mostly situated in the central area of the Cape Peninsula, and serves the greater Cape Town Metropolitan region, including a large percentage of the previously disadvantaged areas and townships, (rural and peri-urban areas). All campuses, including the Central Office, are based in the Central Metropole region of Cape Town and are located within an approximately 20km radius. The Central Office is located in Kent Street, Salt River. All campuses are accessible by public transport – bus, My-Citi bus, Metrorail and taxi. Although the majority of the students’ hail from the greater Cape Town metropolitan region, students from other regions of South Africa, Namibia and African countries and many countries abroad, are accepted.
Courses offered lead to recognized, accredited qualifications that are in high demand by commerce and industry. The College offers an extensive range of programmes, including National Certificate Vocational (NCV) on Levels 2 to 4, NATED Report 191 on N1 to N6, National N Diploma, Occupational Qualifications on Level 1 to 5, Short Skills and other Skills Programmes, Learnerships, Artisan Related Learning Programmes (ARLP) and Trade Testing. The College also offers Higher Education programmes in partnership with University of South Africa (UNISA) – the Bachelor of Education Foundation Phase, and with the Cape Peninsula University of Technology (CPUT) – Higher Certificate in Information Communication Technology.
The College strives to provide high-quality education and training to equip learners with the qualifications and skills needed to start on a chosen career path. There are various support services offered to students including academic support, work-integrated learning, health and wellness services, sport and recreation.
The College of Cape Town will be the preferred provider of Education and Training.
College of Cape Town is committed to be an institution of excellence that develops the potential of clients through quality education and training in response to the skills development needs of the country.
• Respect for the diversity of others;
• Honesty in our dealings and services;
• Transparency in our operations;
• Caring for people;
• Commitment towards excellence and quality;
• Empowerment – the development and growth of people to reach their full potential; and
• Embracing Change.
The College of Cape Town has over the past few years diversified its programme offerings including ministerial programmes, occupational programmes, and short courses as well as the offering of service in the field of conference and venue leasing. The College offers a full bouquet of programmes in the following learning fields:
• Athlone Campus: Mechanical Engineering.
• City Campus: Art and Design, Business Studies, Hospitality Studies, Transport and Logistics and Travel and Tourism.
• Crawford Campus: Business Studies, Education and Training, Primary Health, and Information and Communication Technology (CISCO).
• Gardens Campus: Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) Academy and other Occupational Programmes.
• Guguletu Campus: Business Studies and Electrical Engineering.
• Pinelands Campus: Electrical Engineering; and Trade Testing: Electrical and Refrigeration.
• Thornton Campus: Building and Civil Engineering, Engineering and Related Design, Mechanical Engineering and Trade Testing: Plumbing and Welding.
• Wynberg Campus: Beauty Therapy, Haircare and Trade Testing: Hair Care.
Our Centres of Specialisation include Automotive Motor Mechanics and Plumbing.
Our niche areas are:
• Early Childhood Development;
• Information and Communication Technologies; and
• Electrical Engineering.