Chris Hani Co-operative Development Centre, mandated by Provincial Development of Economic Development and Environmental Affairs (DEDEAT) through their Provincial Co-operative Strategy and National Co-operative Act, 14 2005 to support establishment and capacity building on Co-operative Enterprises with in Chris Hani region. The Co-operatives Development Policy of 2004 places the following key responsibilities :
– to close the existing gap with respect to the promotion and development of co-operatives in South Africa
– To accelerate the implementation of the Nation Co-operatives Policy and the Co-operative Act, as amended
– To provide streamline support programmes, and increase capacity for their roll – out, and
– To strengthen the institutional framework for the implementation, co-ordination, monitoring and evaluate of co- operative development in the country.
– With the above mandate for the CDC, care should be given that the support for the co-operatives stems from a voluntary basis by the co-operatives