AET AFRICA is an Eastern Cape based & South African owned company backed by more than 20 cumulative experience in manufacturing. AET AFRICA specializes in innovation and manufacturing of energy efficiency products with head offices in East London and factories situated at Dimbaza Industrial park. The company is 80% BEE, 55 Youth and Women owned Start-up Company.
The proud owners of this solutions oriented company have pulled out all the stops to reengineer and lead the charge in the development of various renewable and energy efficiency products targeting commercial and residential sector. Over the years, AET AFRICA has been able to conduct research, paying particular attention to how to conserve, reuse and improve water-heating mechanisms that consider the African climate and socioeconomic environment. This process has yielded innovative and inventive prototypes that would reuse the wasted heat, provide accessibility and affordable hot water to ordinary South Africans and further pasteurise the water.
The Hotspot is an energy saving geyser sleeve that can be retrofitted on high pressure electric or solar geyser element to reduce electricity usage and increase energy savings and monetary savings up to 50 %. The Hotspot is a complimentary product to timers, blankets and solar geysers however it gives end users added benefit of operating their geyser as kettle by heating the volume of hot water they need when they need it. The product market is retrofit and new sales for use by residential and small commercial users who need affordable hot water. Currently there are millions of geysers that can be retrofitted with Hotspot.
Hotspot achievements to date
The Hotspot is proud to raise the EC flag in the innovation, research and development space since the first prototype testing on October 2015 done at East London Industrial Development Zone Science and Technology Park (ELIDZ STP) and later at the University of Fort Hare.
Below is a list of recognition and awards by AET AFRICA for Hotspot innovation since 2016 to date:
- • Global Cleantech Innovation Program (GCIP-SA); 2016 “Most Promising Youth Led business” awarded by Minister of Science and Technology Naledi Pandor
- • EC Top Green Awards; 2016 for “Special innovation project” awarded by DEDEAT MEC Somyo
- • Environmental Affairs Ecological awards; 2017 “Gold Award for energy efficiency category” sponsored by Eskom
- • Department of Energy women awards, 2017 “Young Women in Energy” by Minister Mmamoloko Kubayi-Ngubane;
- • African Utility Week; 2018 “nominee for an innovation of the year”
- • Mail & Guardian Greening the Future awards, 2018 “ current finalist for energy efficiency
- • In 2018 the Hotspot was selected as grassroots innovation product to be showcased in INDIA Innovation and Entrepreneurship festival by Department of Science and Technology (DST) & TIA; and
- • Recently selected as top 10 companies to represent South Africa in Switzerland through DST partnership with University of Basel and Swiss government.